Skip to main content

Starting solids for babies



We did annaprashan when my baby was 5months and a week old, that is because we had to do the ceremony choosing an auspicious day (as per Hindu calendar);  It was just a drop of kheer given to him.  I started solids only after A completed 6 months. My doctor gave me a list of first foods and how weekly to try and introduce different stuff. Initial foods were mushy ones like banana, steamed apple and porridges of all sorts. I had dates and bit of jaggery to substitute sugar; and for flavours I would add garlic and other mild spices like coriander powder and turmeric.

When a baby is born, there is a sudden flood of advice and information. Everybody suddenly becomes a teacher, treating you like the stupidest student. The myths and facts that a new mom is confronted with can get overwhelming. However learned and abreast with the trends we are, we do tend to fall for many of the myths and false guidance. It is important that we as parents take a stand  and make our choices, especially when it comes to food, based on research rather than having a random stranger or relatives and friends for that matter, throw their idea or opinion on us. What goes in my baby's mouth is first approved by me; as a parent I have to decide what he eats and what he doesn't.

I have jotted down here few things that one could keep in mind while they start weaning off their baby.

Annaprashan
The first-food ceremony

Things to keep in mind while starting solids


1.    The baby should be able to sit and hold the head steady. My baby started sitting unsupported in his 8th month, however I would always make him sit upright on my lap or in his high chair during meal times. This basically is to avoid choking instances.
2.      The baby should have lost the tongue thrust (swallowing purees and liquids while pushing out solids)
3.      Should have ideally doubled the birth-weight
4.      Breastmilk remains the primary source of nutrition for the baby till he/she reaches 1 year mark; so, don’t stress if what you offer is often rejected (which generally happens).
5.       Don’t drop breastfeeds; as said earlier, breastmilk still remains the main source of nutrition.
6.      Ensure that baby is sitting upright while eating; appropriate sitting posture reduces the chances of choking. Never feed solids while baby is lying down.
7.      Try to avoid sugar completely and add salt as little as you can, better to avoid if you can; as babies' system is not mature to digest these. Also for babies, the sodium requirements are very nominal and are met by other sources such as fruits/vegetables etc.
8.      Honey may lead to  infant botulism (a fatal condition), so it isn't recommended for babies under 1year.
9.      Any milk (other than breast/formula) should be avoided uptil 1 year. Dairy products and dishes from milk, like homemade paneer, curd, kheer etc can be offered 
10.  Avoid introducing any distraction while feeding. Tablets/ TV will only make your job difficult in long run.
      11.  Do not worry about the mess that is created during meal times. Let the baby feel various  textures and enjoy the meal timings
12.   A high chair or booster could prove to be a good investment.
13.  Avoid packaged food products like instant foods, biscuits, noodles, bournvita, etc. These are highly processed and contain many preservatives and chemicals which aren't good for babies.
14. Try making the baby eat with all the family members; that way they eat well and of course it helps in family bonding too.


In order to make an informed choice, I have been talking to other mothers, doctors, support groups and reading enough online. To support these points, below are the links, most of which are internationally recognized associations/bodies.
1.   Baby's readiness

3.   Do not drop breastfeeds, as said

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stay at home mothers Vs Working mothers- Bloggers' marathon entry

Stay at home Vs Working Moms First of all, let me tweak the topic a bit; let me make it Stay at home moms and Working moms; let’s talk about the lives they lead, the challenges they face, the sacrifices they make and the rewards they take; for once let us NOT compare them. Versus often written as vs. is a Latin word meaning 'against' or it may mean to have a comparison or a competition between two teams/parties. Mothers do what they feel is best for their off-springs; whether they stay at home or work outside their homes, I would never wish to question their choices. When I was younger, studying and working, I couldn’t ever imagine myself not working or staying at home, changing diapers, feeding the baby and worrying about the piles of laundry and what to cook next. I could not visualize it because I have been brought up in a family where everyone worked and earned. My father has always insisted that women be financially independent. He has helped distant relative

Capsule wardrobe ideas for a new mom

Hello people, The New Year is right here with lots of excitement, hopes and new beginnings, to welcome the coming year with swag and style, we have come together to bring plethora of fashion inspiration in this "Fashion-a-thon" a fashion blog-train initiative by Ruchie of Wigglingpen . Before you move ahead and see what I have in store for you please check out what Sayeri says on her lovely fashion blog--  Here . I have never been a fashion enthusiast, but who doesn't like wearing nice clothes and look good? I am someone who would rather accentuate a simple kurti with a heavy dupatta or a jacket or a top/tee with a shrug or scarf.  Although, I try not to splurge, but don't know how i end myself up in piles of clothes with still nothing to wear. If you have read my other posts you will know that I am trying to go the minimal way and hence I have almost limited my shopping; if i have to buy a dress for myself, I give away one or two from my wardrobe. 

Prepping, Washing, Storing and Stripping the Cloth Diapers

You have landed on this page, probably because you are keen on starting to cloth diaper your baby or you are already doing it and want to know, how others deal with cloth diapers’ nitty-gritties. We begin with prepping the diapers. Your fluff mail has arrived and you can’t wait to see the little bums dressed bright and beautiful; but  heyy, hold on; you’ve got to wait! It is important to prepare the diapers for use, mainly for two reasons: a.        Hygiene: Just like you wash any other piece of cloth before putting it on to your baby’s sensitive skin, these diapers too need to be pre-washed. b.        Absorbency: The natural fibres (cotton and hemp) have residual oil that restricts the absorbency, hence you need multiple washes before you can use them Now, the question is how do you prep the diapers? Mostly you will find the prepping and washing instructions mentioned on the packaging that the diapers come in. However, the simplest way to prep is giving a wash in dete